Leave your Technical Debt behind this New Year
// Dev Ops Guys
Or: How DevOps can put you back in the black for 2015
When you're running a business there are so many things to focus on that it can be easier than you think to fall into technical debt. If IT is not your speciality or your business isn't set up to deal with the perpetual developments of cloud computing patching things hurriedly together or using inexpert coding can seem like a quick fix that you can come back to and do properly in the future; in effect you're borrowing time.
Unfortunately errors often beget errors, piling up 'interest' on your technical debt that your business might find it impossible to get out of in the long run. It's a serious problem that can leave you wasting time and money, repeatedly solving problems caused by early errors.
With continuous development expert Alex Yates joining us for the 1st DevOps Meet Up of the year on Jan the 7th we took a look at his blog to see how a DevOps approach can help you tackle your software and IT problems before they become serious, unsolvable issues.
Here are some of Alex's tips to prevent your technical debt reaching critical mass:
- Source Control to better manage changes. Thankfully this is pretty much a given for most people now.
- Thorough automated testing. Adopting Continuous Integration and/or Continuous Delivery.
- Better teamwork/communication across IT teams. Adopting a more DevOps approach.
- Better communication with business managers to help them understand the consequences of shipping features too fast without time to focus on quality. The business guys will want you to ship quickly now but they'll also want you to be agile later in the year right?
- Keeping track of technical debt visually, monitoring it and paying it back (refactoring it) when possible
Using actual case studies in Wednesday's talk Alex will share his expertise on the need for changes in organisational structure, process and technology, which are necessary to arrive at a nimble, fast, automatable and continuous database deployment process.
The session will tackle how to customise common practices and tool sets to build a database deployment pipeline unique to your environment in order to speed your own database delivery while still protecting your organization's most valuable asset, its data.
At DevOpsGuys we specialise in continuous delivery, application management and leading on development processes that allow your business to function to its greatest capacity; we manage your website so you can focus on your business.
Happy New year!
Shared via my feedly reader
Sent from my iPhone
Data Center Engineer
1801 Superior Ave. Ste. 300 | Cleveland, OH 44114
(800) 777-7178 | toll free
(440) 268-3297 | office
(216) 224-5769 | mobile
Architects of the anyplace workspace™