Addison Huddy (@addisonhuddy, Sr Dir of PM @Confluentinc) talks about the evolution of cloud-based Kafka platforms, and how this might reshape how all OSS software moves into the cloud.
CLOUD NEWS OF THE WEEK - http://bit.ly/cloudcast-cnotw
NEW TO CLOUD? CHECK OUT - "CLOUDCAST BASICS"
- Equinix Global Data Centers and Networking
- Learn more and signup at https://deploy.equinix.com/. Use the coupon code CLOUDCAST to get $500 in credits to get started.
- Datadog Security Solution: Modern Monitoring and Security
- Start investigating security threats before it affects your customers with a free 14 day Datadog trial. Listeners of The Cloudcast will also receive a free Datadog T-shirt.
- GCore - Global Hosting, CDN, Edge and Cloud Services
- Use promocode “CLOUDCAST” to receive a €100 credit on Gcore services
- Cloud-native Service for Apache Kafka (Confluent)
- Apache Kafka - Open Source Event Streaming Platform
- Kora: The Cloud-Native Engine for Apache Kafka
- Kora Engine - 10x Better than Apache Kafka
Topic 1 - Welcome to the show. Tell us a little bit about your background, and what you focus on at Confluent.
Topic 2 - Let’s start with Confluent Cloud. What happens when you take an open source project and make it a cloud service?
Topic 3 - After many years of learning, Confluent decided to build Kora. Walk us through that design process and the goals of this new 10x Kafka-compatible service.
Topic 4 - As I’m looking through the capabilities of Kora (see below), can you give us a sense of how these compare to the previous Confluent Cloud?
Topic 5 - Kora remains compatible with existing Kafka. How did you go about essentially maintaining the API/protocol while essentially re-writing the entire backend of the system?
Topic 6 - Obviously you can’t speak for other open source projects, but given what Confluent has learned with Kora, do expect to see other companies potentially trying to build cloud-specific versions? (e.g. Kubernetes)
Topic 7 - What sort of feedback do you get from users of the Kora system vs. the previous Confluent Cloud?
- Email: show at the cloudcast dot net
- Twitter: @thecloudcastnet
from The Cloudcast (.NET) https://bit.ly/46U7hbi