As Docker talks about their successes and failures after 10 years, what lessons can be learned by open source companies, projects and foundations over the past decade.
CLOUD NEWS OF THE WEEK - http://bit.ly/cloudcast-cnotw
CHECK OUT OUR NEW PODCAST - "CLOUDCAST BASICS"
- CloudZero – Cloud Cost Visibility and Savings
- CloudZero provides immediate and ongoing savings with 100% visibility into your total cloud spend
- Reduce the complexities of protecting your workloads and applications in a multi-cloud environment. Panoptica provides comprehensive cloud workload protection integrated with API security to protect the entire application lifecycle. Learn more about Panoptica at panoptica.app
- Datadog Monitoring: Modern Monitoring and Analytics
- Start monitoring your infrastructure, applications, logs and security in one place with a free 14 day Datadog trial. Listeners of The Cloudcast will also receive a free Datadog T-shirt.
- Docker at 10 - Three Things we got Right, Three Things we got Wrong (TNS)
- Lessons Learned from Docker (Eps.505 - 2021)
- Lessons Learned from OpenShift (Eps. 489 - 2021)
- If Kubernetes is Boring, what’s next? (Eps.509 - 2021)
IT’S HARD TO SEE THE FOREST FOR THE TREES
- Docker was the transition between OpenStack (bad foundation) and Kubernetes (CNCF)
- Was Docker a Community or a Cult? How did Leadership work?
- Docker was stuck between VMware and Developers
WHAT HAS THE INDUSTRY LEARNED FROM THE DOCKER DAYS?
- Customers and communities are very hesitant to adopt another single-vendor offering
- Could Docker have succeeded as a “free” implementation?
- As much as DevOps and PlatformEngineering are happening, it’s tough to have an “in between” technology (used by both Infra and AppDev)
- It’s OK to adapt your monetization model, but it’s not OK to not have one
- Open source can’t be the driving force of a business. It’s not a charity.
- If somebody offers you $3B, maybe consider taking it….
- Email: show at the cloudcast dot net
- Twitter: @thecloudcastnet
from The Cloudcast (.NET) https://bit.ly/46FlVm6